Voted "Top 10 Best Places to Live" (Again), is your property value going up, or down?
Welcome To Southwest Portland Oregon
Southwest Portland Homes for Sale
Discover a wide selection of homes for sale in charming Southwest Portland! Simply click the "Request More Information" button when viewing the details of a property to obtain additional information such as disclosures, past sales history, and recent prices of homes sold in the vicinity.
To stay updated on the latest Southwest Portland listings, don't forget to register for a free account. By doing so, you'll receive email alerts whenever new properties become available on the market. This ensures that you won't miss out on any exciting opportunities to find your dream home in Southwest Portland.
Take the first step towards finding your ideal home in this lovely neighborhood by exploring the available listings and setting up personalized email alerts. Get ready to embark on a new chapter in Southwest Portland!
Relocating to Southwest Portland
Welcome to downtown Portland, nestled in the charming Southwest section between the I-405 freeway loop and the picturesque Willamette River. This vibrant area is centered around Pioneer Courthouse Square, affectionately known as "Portland's living room." Downtown Portland and other inner parts of the city boast compact square blocks measuring 200 feet (60 meters) on each side, coupled with narrow streets that create a pedestrian-friendly environment.
Downtown Portland is a hub for numerous recreational, cultural, educational, governmental, business, and retail resources. Some of the notable attractions and landmarks include:
- South Park Blocks, Pettygrove and Lovejoy Fountain Parks, and Tom McCall Waterfront Park, offer beautiful green spaces and scenic riverfront views.
- Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, Portland Art Museum, and Oregon Historical Society Museum, provide exceptional artistic and historical experiences.
- Portland City Hall, Multnomah County Central Courthouse, the Portland Building, Pioneer Courthouse, and Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse, representing important governmental and architectural landmarks.
- Portland State University, the only public urban university in Oregon located within a major metropolitan city, offering diverse educational opportunities.
- The Meier & Frank Building and Pioneer Place mall, serving as premier destinations for shopping and entertainment.
- Wells Fargo Center, the tallest building in Oregon, standing at an impressive 546 feet (166 meters).
Moving beyond downtown, the Southwest section also encompasses various notable locations, including:
- The campuses of Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), Lewis & Clark College, and Portland Community College/Sylvania, providing exceptional educational institutions.
- Neighborhoods such as South Portland (formerly Corbett-Terwilliger-Lair Hill), South Burlingame, Hillsdale, and Multnomah, each with their distinct residential houses and well-defined commercial and retail districts.
- Alpenrose Dairy in the Hayhurst neighborhood, known for hosting track cycling events and Little League sports.
- Washington Park, a stunning destination offering North America's deepest transit station, along with attractions such as the Oregon Zoo, Hoyt Arboretum, the International Rose Test Garden, the Portland Japanese Garden, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, and an array of hiking trails.
- The south Willamette riverfront along SW Macadam Ave., an area undergoing redevelopment as a mixed-use, high-density neighborhood, is expected to house 2,700 residential units and create 5,000 high-tech jobs upon completion.
Discover the excitement and cultural richness that awaits you in downtown Portland and the Southwest section. From iconic landmarks to scenic parks, educational institutions to vibrant neighborhoods, this area offers a multitude of experiences to be explored. Welcome to the heart of the city's thriving Southwest! Browse all Southwest Portland neighborhoods below.
Grade A | Voted #18 in Best Neighborhoods to Buy a House in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A+ | #13 in Best Neighborhoods to Raise a Family in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A | #8 in Best Neighborhoods to Buy a House in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A+ | Voted #5 in Best Neighborhoods to Buy a House in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A+ | Voted #18 in Best Neighborhoods to Live in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A- | Voted #59 in Best Neighborhoods to Live in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A+ | Voted #1 in Best Neighborhoods to Raise a Family in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A+ | Voted #29 in Best Neighborhoods to Live in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A+ | Voted #9 in Best Neighborhoods to Live in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A- | Voted #62 in Best Neighborhoods to Live in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A+ | Voted #2 in Best Neighborhoods to Raise a Family in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A | Voted #39 in Best Neighborhoods to Live in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A+ | Voted #6 in Best Neighborhoods to Buy a House in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A+ | Voted #17 in Best Neighborhoods to Live in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Grade A+ | Voted #4 in Best Neighborhoods to Live in PortlandWe Know SW Portland | Search
Where is Southwest Portland?
Southwest Portland stretches from the west side of the Willamette River, encompassing Downtown PDX, and extending to Goose Hollow, which is a mere 10-20 minute walk into downtown. As you move further out, Southwest Portland transitions into a more suburban setting, while still maintaining its convenient proximity to the city center—a quick 7-10 minute drive away.
Downtown Southwest Portland offers easy access to entertainment, efficient transportation options, trendy bars and restaurants, and a delightful array of eclectic storefronts. It's a lively hub for those seeking a vibrant urban experience.
Venturing into the Southwest Hills, you'll discover a different ambiance characterized by larger residential homes and streets that provide a sense of privacy. What truly sets this area apart is the breathtaking views it offers, showcasing the cityscape from a remarkable perspective.
Whether you're drawn to the energetic downtown scene or seeking tranquility and scenic beauty in the Southwest Hills, Southwest Portland has something to offer everyone. Embrace the convenience, explore the unique neighborhoods, and experience the best of what this dynamic region has to offer.
Best of Southwest Portland
Here are some of the best restaurants in Southwest Portland, each offering a unique dining experience:
Heathman Restaurant & Bar Address: 1001 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205 Cuisine: French-inspired cuisine with an emphasis on Oregon's produce and products. Offers a variety of dining options, including private dining and afternoon tea.
Departure Address: 525 SW Morrison St. ROOFTOP, Portland, OR 97204 Cuisine: Modern Chinese cuisine with stunning city views. Features a fusion of Chinese-American dishes and traditional Chinese cuisine with a twist.
The Original Address: 300 SW 6th Ave., Portland, OR 97204 Cuisine: American diner with a trendy atmosphere. Serves savory burgers and delicious desserts. Known for its social atmosphere and online menu.
Gracie's Address: 729 SW 15th Ave., Portland, OR 97205 Cuisine: Classic American dishes with a focus on local and fresh Pacific Northwest ingredients. Offers brunch and dinner in an elegant and glamorous setting.
Masu Address: 406 SW 13th Ave., Portland, OR 97205 Cuisine: Modern Japanese cuisine with a chic and stylish atmosphere. Specializes in sushi and can accommodate both small and large parties.
Thirst Wine Bar & Bistro Address: 315 SW Montgomery St., Portland, OR 97201 Cuisine: American dishes with fine-dining techniques and a focus on local wines. Offers a stunning outdoor patio during the summer and an elegant indoor dining room.
Saucebox Address: 214 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205 Cuisine: Pan Asian and Pacific Island cuisine with a modern and swanky atmosphere. Known for its high-quality, flavorful dishes and original cocktails.
Higgins Restaurant and Bar Address: 1239 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205 Cuisine: French-inspired cuisine with Pacific Northwest and European influences. Emphasizes fresh, local ingredients and offers an extensive wine list.
London Grill Address: 309 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205 Cuisine: Northwestern menu items with a modern twist. Features bold modern décor and a menu with a wide selection of wines.
Morton's The Steakhouse Address: 213 SW Clay St., Portland, OR 97201 Cuisine: Classic steakhouse offering high-quality prime meats and exceptional hospitality. Known for its commitment to quality and consistency.
Living In SW Portland
Within the vibrant city of Portland, Oregon, the southwestern quadrant beckons with a unique blend of urban sophistication and natural splendor. Offering an array of diverse neighborhoods, breathtaking vistas, and a harmonious blend of modernity and nature, living in Southwest Portland presents an enticing fusion of convenience and scenic beauty.
Things To Do In SW Portland
Southwest Portland offers a rich tapestry of activities that cater to a wide range of interests, ensuring that residents and visitors alike can experience the best of urban exploration and outdoor adventure. From cultural escapades to serene natural retreats, this corner of the city provides an enticing array of things to do that capture the essence of the Pacific Northwest lifestyle.
1. Explore Washington Park: This sprawling urban oasis is a haven for nature enthusiasts, boasting attractions such as the lush Japanese Garden, the enchanting International Rose Test Garden, and the family-friendly Oregon Zoo. Its extensive trails also make it a prime spot for hiking and picnicking.
2. Embrace Cultural Splendors: Immerse yourself in Portland's cultural scene by visiting the Portland Art Museum, where a diverse collection of artworks awaits. Dive into the city's history at the Oregon Historical Society, or catch a performance at the Portland Center Stage or the Artists Repertory Theatre.
3. Stroll Through Multnomah Village: This charming neighborhood is a delightful mix of boutiques, galleries, and eateries, making it a perfect spot for leisurely walks, window shopping, and discovering unique local finds.
4. Delight in Culinary Adventures: SW Portland is a haven for food enthusiasts. From farm-to-table restaurants to food carts dishing out global flavors, the culinary scene is a reflection of Portland's diverse and innovative spirit.
5. Discover Tryon Creek State Natural Area: Embark on a hiking or biking expedition through the serene trails of this state park. With its towering trees, babbling creeks, and abundant wildlife, it offers a rejuvenating escape from city life.
6. Explore the South Waterfront: This modern urban district along the Willamette River offers an array of waterfront dining, shopping, and outdoor spaces. Take a stroll along the riverfront esplanade or enjoy a scenic bike ride.
7. Visit the Portland Aerial Tram: Take a ride on the Portland Aerial Tram for breathtaking panoramic views of the city and surrounding landscapes. It's an experience that offers a unique perspective on the city's skyline.
8. Attend Local Festivals and Events: SW Portland hosts various festivals and events throughout the year, celebrating everything from art and music to food and culture. Keep an eye out for events like the Portland Rose Festival or neighborhood street fairs.
9. Take in River Views at Willamette Park: This picturesque park along the riverbank is perfect for picnicking, sunbathing, and enjoying stunning views of the Willamette River and the Marquam Bridge.
In Southwest Portland, every day presents a chance to immerse yourself in a dynamic blend of natural wonders, cultural pursuits, and urban experiences, en
SW Portland Schools
Southwest Portland is home to a variety of educational options, including public, private, and charter schools. These institutions cater to students from diverse backgrounds and offer a range of academic programs and extracurricular activities. Here are some notable schools in the area:
- Wilson High School: A comprehensive public high school is known for its strong academic programs, diverse student body, and various extracurricular activities.
- Rieke Elementary School: A public elementary school that emphasizes community involvement and offers a nurturing learning environment.
- Jackson Middle School: A public middle school that focuses on academic excellence, social development, and preparing students for high school.
- St. Mary's Academy: A Catholic girls' school offering a rigorous academic curriculum along with opportunities for leadership and personal growth.
- Oregon Episcopal School: A private school that provides a well-rounded education, emphasizing academic achievement, creative expression, and community engagement.
- Arthur Academy: A charter school with a focus on project-based learning, fostering critical thinking skills and a strong sense of community.
- SW Charter School: A K-8 charter school that emphasizes experiential learning, outdoor education, and fostering a love for learning.
- Portland State University (PSU): Located in the heart of downtown Portland, PSU offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs, including business, arts, sciences, and more.
SW Portland Real Estate
The Southwest Portland real estate market offers a captivating blend of housing options that cater to diverse preferences. Nestled amid the lush landscapes and cityscapes, this area boasts a range of housing styles, from historic Craftsman homes in Hillsdale to modern condos with sweeping views in the South Waterfront district. As an alluring mix of urban convenience and natural beauty, SW Portland attracts potential homebuyers seeking a variety of living experiences. While property prices can vary based on factors such as location and type of residence, the area's proximity to downtown Portland and its array of amenities contribute to its dynamic real estate market. It's essential to stay informed about current market trends and consult local experts for guidance as you navigate the exciting opportunities within the Southwest Portland real estate landscape.
If you're interested in learning more about SW Portland or any other Portland area properties, feel free to contact our office at any time. Our team of real estate experts is knowledgeable about the local market and can help you find the perfect home for your needs and budget. Whether you're looking for a vacation home or a permanent residence, we can guide you through the process of buying real estate in SW Portland.
Southwest Portland Real Estate Market
(receive updates weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, or every 3 months)